Public meeting held for Pass Creek Wind

  • Category: News

By Mary C. Hunt

A public meeting was held on Monday, December 10, 2018, at the Martin Activity Center to discuss plans for Pass Creek Wind, a utility-scale wind energy project planned for Bennett County north of Martin. Approximately 35 people attended the meeting including Bennett County Commissioners, local ranchers and members of the Oglala Sioux Tribe. 

7G Renewable Energy, a partnership…

Read more: Public meeting held for Pass Creek Wind

Dan and Rangler Ceplecha sentenced to Life in Prison

  • Category: News

By Tim Huether

Just over two long years since they were arrested for the murder of Moses Red Bear, Daniel Ceplecha, 58, and his son, Rangler Ceplecha, 24, of Martin, were sentenced to Life in Prison with no possibility of parole in the South Dakota State Penitentiary by Sixth Circuit Court Judge Bobbi Rank, November 30, in Martin.

After comments from the defense attorneys, the states attorney,…

Read more: Dan and Rangler Ceplecha sentenced to Life in Prison

Recount yields no change in District 27 representation

  • Category: News

By Mary C. Hunt

Results of recounts in the November 6, 2018 General Election for District 27 Representative, which were performed on Monday, November 26, are in. While there were changes in some district precincts, there was no change to who will represent the District. Peri Pourier (D) and Steve Livermont (R) remain the top vote-getters and will represent the 27th in Pierre come January. 

Democratic…

Read more: Recount yields no change in District 27 representation

Bingo for Books

  • Category: News

Children, parents and grandparents got together at the BC Middle School for Bingo for Books on Thursday, November 15, 2018. With Title I funding, Belinda Ready, Middle School principal put together an evening for the whole family that not only encouraged playing together but also reading by giving away age-appropriate books for children and adults to bingo winners.

Read more: Bingo for Books

Rebel Earth Farms winning grants and cultivating hope

  • Category: News

By  Mary C. Hunt

Rebel Earth Farms, a speciality crop producer in Martin, has recently been awarded an SDDA grant and a USDA grant for multiple high tunnel projects. 

The most recent grant, a $7,500 NCR-SARE award, is from the South Dakota Department of Agriculture (SDDA). Rebel Earth is also one of eight specialty crop projects around the state to win funding from the U.S. Department of…

Read more: Rebel Earth Farms winning grants and cultivating hope

County looks into land swap with Martin Addiction Recovery Center

  • Category: News

By Taylor Risse

The November 14 meeting of the Bennett County Commissioners was well attended with all five commissioners present, along with commissioner elects Judd Schomp and Rod Kirk, State’s Attorney Sarah Harris, Amanda LaCroix, Jeff Siscoe and Jolene Donovan in attendance.

The October 17, minutes were approved with the line, “The Board reviewed claims. Rocky Risse made a motion to approve…

Read more: County looks into land swap with Martin Addiction Recovery Center

The votes are in....Williams stays Bennett County Sheriff

  • Category: News

By Taylor Risse

 

The results are in and the Bennett County Sheriff's Election that everyone has  been talking about, ends with incumbent Paul Williams gathering 73 percent with 805 votes and Thomas McMillan taking the other 27 percent with 301 votes.

In other local contests the Register of Deeds race was tightly won by Jaci Clifford garnering 54 percent with 595 votes and…

Read more: The votes are in....Williams stays Bennett County Sheriff

502 Second Avenue, Martin, SD 57551 • 605-685-6866 • booster@gwtc.net